Tuesday 25 August 2009

Morfa Madryn (Reprise)

After an impressive showing last week, I was back at Morfa Madryn for yesterday’s high tide.

After badly mistiming my previous visit – I reckon you need to be hunkered-down three hours before a high tide – I was in situ much earlier.

The Oysties were already piling in to roost on the shingle spit and out in the bay Red-breasted Mergansers and GC Grebes were drifting in on the tide.

The next group of birds past was a flock of Dunlin, that for my money also contained a Little Stint but unfortunately I could no re-locate the bird.

I did find four plonkers though. An elderly couple with two ratty little hounds has decided to ignore the warning signs and walk right out on to the spit. Incredulously, the other couple were wearing binoculars and despite being more circumspect when approaching the birds caused just as much disturbance.

When the birds had re-settled I moved over to the marsh to scan through the gulls and terns. There was very good numbers of Sandwich Terns again – plenty of young ones too – and also a moulting Common Tern. From the ranks of gulls, I also managed to find a find Med Gull.

For the next hour or so the sun shined and I just sat and enjoyed the spectacle. I am really becoming quite fond of this reserve that seems incredibly under-watched. It won’t be too long before my next visit.

Until later.

No comments: