Wednesday 11 November 2009

(Major Parus) Hilton

Great Tits - real ones at that and probably in possession of a greater vocabulary too! They were everywhere this afternoon and I wasn’t even reading Nuts magazine or scanning one of those dodgy websites I’ve heard so much about.

It all started when I bumped into a large winter flock of passerines when out walking my dog at the Gowy Meadows CWT reserve this afternoon. I decided to search through the group to see if it contained anything interesting, but I soon discovered bar the odd Blue Tit or Goldfinch it was Great Tits all the way – about fifty in total.

Quite interesting as Stephen Fry might say, but hardly earth-shattering. I continued my walk towards the river Gowy, but I had to turn back when I noticed the cows had been moved to graze the pasture I needed to cross. I decided to drive to the woodland park at Mickle Trafford instead.

When I entered the park I encountered another large winter flock in the birch and willow scrub, and after scanning this gathering I found that it too was dominated by Great Tits – probably seventy of a flock of eighty or so.

It was then that I remembered that the level in my peanut feeder had been dropping quicker than the pants of a certain vacuous hotel heiress recently – a food source favoured by Great Tits.

I wonder if there has been a large influx of Great Tits this autumn. I have had a look on the interweb and cannot find much on the irruptions of this species, just one article alluding to increased breeding success following a good crop of beech nuts.

Has anybody else noticed similar numbers of Great Tits? Drop a comment if you have.

Until later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apologies not noted the increased GT numbers, however very interested in whereabouts of the MT woodland park. Thanks in anticpation. Also please keep up the regular updates - great reading during my office bound lunch breaks.
Best
John

Paul Shenton said...

Hi John,

The Mickle Trafford Woodland Park is behind the Nag's Head pub on the A56 just past MT. You can access it from a cul-de-sac just past the pub (coming from MT). The grid reference is SJ445714.

To be honest, it's not great for birds, you get the odd Kingfisher on the Gowy, Barn Owl and the occasional Peregrine on the pylons.

Thanks for your positive comments by the way - much appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.