Thursday 11 June 2009

Not As Daft As I Look

Projected north-westerlies of 20mph+ were enough to coax me up the Little Orme today for a spot of seawatching. Unfortunately, when I rocked-up the wind was so weak even Emile Heskey would think twice before falling over. Not much chance of a Stormie, Manxie or Bonxie then.

Two pairs of Fulmars had nested since my last visit and afforded great views through my scope, as did a trio of Ravens on top of the ridge.

Out over Davey Jones' locker, a mass of gulls had descended on a shoal of fish and were joined by a brace of Sandwich Terns, Cormorant, Shag and good numbers of Guillemot.

The Guillemots were demonstrating a bit a nouse too - something I wouldn't normally credit an auk with! Many of them appeared to be mitigating the effect of the headwind by flying directly in the slipstream of the Cormorants. I have never observed this behaviour before and would be interested to know if this strategy is common. Not all the birds were doing this, but enough for it not to be coincidental.

Keen for some second helpings, I drove over for a nose around Morfa Madryn. The tide line had receded further than Wayne Rooney’s hair, so the answer to a question posed by a local graffiti wag reading “Can you see any pritty birdz?” (sic), was a definitive ‘Nada’.

I lumbered over to the furthest hide where things were a little more interesting. Three hopelessly cute Lapwing chicks – the first I have seen this year – were taking their first steps under the watchful eye of a nervous mother.

Out on the scrape a distinctly Mediterranean attitude was being adopted in the face of the strengthening sun. A moulting drake RB Merganser, a Little Egret, a sitting Oystercatcher and a handful of Lapwings were all dozing

Until later.

No comments: