Wednesday 28 October 2009

Decca Records

Three Green Sandpipers on Decca Pools this evening; I would probably have missed them had they not been calling – but when do they never call?!

I also had distant views of a ringtail Hen Harrier, plus one, possibly two Short-eared Owls getting grief off some corvids. The shorties have yet to appear in any great numbers this year down towards the Burton end of the marsh, although I have had up to five at Parkgate.

Talking of Parkgate, the Hen Harrier roost seems to be up to three birds now: two adult females and what looks like a juvenile male - an adult Marsh Harrier also seems to be hanging around too. In short, get your backsides down there!

Three wildfowlers were on the marsh late in the afternoon too. Nothing unusual in that really, except that they were walking across RSPB owned land with their springer spaniel tearing around the sheep.

Now, as I understand there is a RSPB sign explicitly saying that people are meant to keep dogs on a lead around farm animals; indeed some have had a rollicking from the farmer for failing to control their hounds.

The sharp among you will have noticed a little hypocrisy in this (don’t worry if you didn’t, I’m not that sharp and would not have noticed it too) as I have never seen either of the farmers challenge people who shoot, just members of the public. They wouldn’t be picking on easy targets would they?

Anyway, enough editorialising I thought I may have seen a distant Black Kite from Connah’s Quay on Sunday morning and apparently Bardsey observatory bagged one on the following day. Probably nothing in it, but I will never know…

Until later.

No comments: