Tuesday 9 February 2010

Marsh Matters

Lots of activity at Burton Marsh this morning, including a large skein of Pinkies and a small RSPB chain-gang engaged in a spot of fence mending – all that was missing was the prison issue boiler suits!

Still hundreds of waterfowl on the numerous flashes, including large numbers of Wigeon and Lapwing – the recent high tides and resultant flooding really has produced a superb spectacle.

Good numbers of birds are not just restricted to the marsh though, with a large flock of finches feeding in the fields behind the Decca Pools. Flying overhead, at least one Brambling was calling (one bird I can pick-up in flight, unlike the characters in the next paragraph!) but the bulk of the numbers seemed to be made up of Chaffinch and Linnets.

Crossing the bridge near Neston Old Quay I had a quick scan for Water Pipits, but before I had a chance to look properly three birds shot up from the stream and flew off towards the sewage works. All giving off single calls, it seems likely that they were either Rock or Water Pipits, but I’m afraid my level of competency does not extend to telling the difference between a ‘pseep’ and a ‘weest’ yet!

Try as I might, I could not find one single Harrier on the outer marsh today, just a couple of blokes with Alsatians - trying their damnedest to disturb every bird within two miles of Denhall Old Quay - and a returning wildfowler.

On a positive note, I heard my first singing Chaffinch of the year – yet another sign that spring is not too far away now. Let’s hope this latest does of cold weather is the last medicine we have to take this winter!

Until later.

No comments: