Thursday 17 December 2009

The Dark Side Of The Estuary?

I have been birding the Dee for a number of years now and being based at Chester I find myself equidistant from both the Flintshire and Wirral sides of the estuary.

Initially, I favoured sites such as Hoylake, Red Rocks and the shore at Heswall, but I found the more I explored the Welsh side, the more my affections turned to this side of the river.

What struck me early on is how under-watched and neglected the entire area is considering the relative abundance of good birdwatching sites.

Arguably the Wirral side is the more attractive having not suffered from the same level of industrialisation as its opposing bank, but as far as I am concerned the crown jewels of the Dee Estuary lie firmly in Wales’s hands.

The Point of Ayr probably offers the birdwatcher the greatest variety of birds on the estuary with the possible exception of Hilbre Island. A broad range of waders and wildfowl can be seen at this location with the added appeal of good seawatching, plus the chance of the unexpected – I once witnessed an aerial tussle between a Pomarine Skua and a Marsh Harrier! The nearby wild and desolate Gronant beech with its breeding Little Terns is also a cracking destination.

A much underrated spot is the scruffy Garth Wood, tucked unassumingly behind the village at Ffynnongroywy. A wonderful signposted trail leads one around a three mile circuit of the wood and surrounding farmland where last spring I found Dipper, Marsh Tit, Wood Warbler, Pied Flycatcher, Garden Warbler and Redstart in just two visits.

White Sands is an area of the marsh unfamiliar to many, but the section that lies directly behind the rivetment running out from Corus Steel Works holds some fascinating birds - particularly over-wintering families of Whooper and Bewick’s Swans. Sadly, access is restricted, but in winter there is a no better spot to scan for Short-eared Owls or find flocks of over-wintering Twite.

Also close-by and difficult to gain entry to is the colony of Common Terns that breed on the pools lying directly under the shadow of the steelwork’s buildings; the boating lake at Shotwick that can hold interesting birds from time-to-time and then, of course, there is the rifle-range area…!

Finally there is Connah’s Quay NR. I have been a member for two years now and find myself coming with increased frequency. I think the best time to visit is over a high tide, when I can watch the waders being pushed on to Oakenholt Marsh to roost. The autumn of 2009 was particularly memorable with a massive flock of up to 6,000 Black-tailed Godwits present and the only thing more astonishing is that I very rarely had any company in the West Hide! Where are the birders?

Infact, from my experience there seem to be very few birders along this entire stretch of coast, evidenced by the fact that there are relatively few sighting submitted to the various local websites vis-à-vis other areas. This is probably down to nothing more than a comparatively small local population.

It’s not all rosy as there are drawbacks, notably the lack of freshwater or brackish pools and – Connah’s Quay nothwithstanding – very few formal viewing facilities. However, all things considered – it’s Wales for me!

Until later.

3 comments:

Ashley Cohen said...

Hi I agree there are some right gems to be found on the wales side of the Dee. I live in Flint and you have have seen my posts on North wales birding forum ( Im maximox). Im more a wildlife photographer but enjoy coming across new birds, and getting pics of more rare species. I Find the coastal paths of Flint to be terribly under watched, I've not yet come across a birder and I've been walking the paths quite frequently over the almost a year I've been birding, but the majority of my good photo's and sightings have come from there.

Ash

Paul Shenton said...

Hi Ash,

Come to think of it I don't recall seeing anybody either on the coastal paths between Mostyn and Flint. I walk around Greenfield fairly often and hardly see a soul, let alone a birder.

I am trying to psyche myself up for a walk between Prestatyn and Flint one day too...

Great picture of the Mipit by the way..

Cheers, Paul.

Ashley Cohen said...

Thanks Paul! Quite a long walk I hope u mean in stages ;)

Ash