Sunday 13 December 2009

Nothing About, Much Ado

A quick ghost around my usual haunts this morning produced slim pickings if I am honest, with a toss-up between three Spotted Redshanks at Connah’s Quay and a flock of around three hundred Linnets at Inner Marsh Farm for birds of the weekend.

American baseball commentators have a wonderful term they use when a batter is struggling for hits. It’s called ‘being in a funk’, and that pretty much sums up the Dee Estuary at the moment – perhaps it has a drake Smew waiting for us in its Christmas Stocking!

Frodsham Marsh was a hive of activity yesterday, although it was more the masses of humanity than the birdlife that was providing the interest. I don’t know if the recent proposal to build a huge inland wind farm on the marsh has awoken the locals to its existence, but the model aircraft enthusiasts, horse riders, dog walkers, joggers, falconers and birders were out in force.

Most irritating was a pair of plebs charging around number six tank on quad bikes. Dangerous dog ownership excepted, is there anything else that says more clearly ‘I have no GCSEs?’

On a positive note, they provided me with an excuse for not being able to find a Water Pipit reported earlier in the day from a flooded area on the south-eastern section of number four tank. The noise must have flushed it by my reckoning – that’s why I couldn’t find it, nothing to do with a lack of patience and poor field craft!

On the track at the north end of number six I bumped into one of the falconers. A youngish chap, he was struggling to carry around half a dozen rabbits and a pheasant.

‘Quite a profitable day’, I said to him

‘Okay, yes’, he replied.

‘This is the first time I have hunted with Harris Hawks – I used to have a Saker/Gyr Falcon cross, but it was crap - it was knackered after five minutes and turned like an oil tanker.’

Touche.

Frodsham Marsh 12.12.09

Lapwing 2,000+
Golden Plover c75
Sparrowhawk 1
Kestrel 1
Buzzard 1

Inner Marsh Farm 13.12.09

Linnet c300
Siskin 2
Pink-footed Goose 1
Wigeon 75+
Ruff 1

Connah’s Quay 13.12.09

Spotted Redshank 3
Black-tailed Godwit 60
GC Grebe 2

Until later.

No comments: