Thursday 31 December 2009

Llyn Ysceifiog

A quick trip to Llyn Ysceifiog this afternoon – surely Wales’ top scoring lake in Scrabble – left me rueing my decision to leave my gaiters at home as I traipsed along what must be the muddiest footpath in all of Flintshire - if not Christendom.

It was my first visit to this area having only recently read about its existence in the North East Wales Bird Report. The habitat is quite promising - around the water at least with a good mixture of both deciduous and coniferous trees.

The lake itself, however, is little more than a duck pond and obviously man made resulting in the sort of contrived and manicured appearance that never comes close to replicating natural beauty.

Nevertheless, there was an ample smattering of waterfowl present including a handful each of Teal, Gadwall, Shoveler and Little Grebe, plus a frozen looking Cormorant.

The woodland was extremely quiet and it was not until I reached the north-west section of the lake that things improved – and took a strange turn!

I picked up a very small bird darting through the canopy and initially thought it was a Goldcrest, but when eventually the bird stopped for a second I could see it was a Chiffchaff (I bet you thought Firecrest!).

I have only seen over-wintering Chiffchaff near the coast in this country before – Morfa Madryn, Connah’s Quay and Inner Marsh farm of the top of my head – so I was chuffed to see one inland.

Other interesting passerines included a Goldcrest, three Nuthatch and at least five Bullfinches, whilst two Raven and a Buzzard floated over.

Until next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 Goosanders still on the River Dee either side of the Old Dee Bridge. Mirroring your sightings, 2Ravens & a Buzzard above the racecourse. Lets hope the Ravens nest again in Chester.

Andy

Anonymous said...

Supposed to be a good pub in Ysceifiog,featured in the Saturday Telegraph a few months back. Note not open during the day in the week.
Regards John Boswell

Anonymous said...

Yes the Fox at Ysceifiog.
Excellent traditional old pub!
Didn't know about this lake, must give it a look when the paths get a bit drier!

Paul Shenton said...

Always good to hear about a good boozer, although how you can think of alcohol on New Year's day is beyond me!

By the way JB - I thought you were more of a Daily Star man?

Best wishes for the New Year - Paul.