Sunday 31 May 2009

American Idle

I had it all planned. A short drive to Moore Nature Reserve for my first Laughing Gull, then on to Martin Mere for the drake American Wigeon, before the piece de resistance: a Temminck's Stint at Marshside. What could go wrong?

Well, quite a lot as it happens. Before I had finished my breakfast the first-summer Laughing Gull had been re-identified as a second-summer Black-headed Gull. D’Oh!

Still, the wildfowl and wader (good name for a pub?) were still enough to tempt me to Lancashire. Martin Mere was rammed when I arrived, although most people were busy walking around the ‘Zoo.’

Enquiries as to its whereabouts led me to the Ron Barker hide. Gauche is not generally a trait of anything American, so I was surprised to find the bird a considerable distance from the hide and skulking in the vegetation. With the added handicap of heat haze, any views of the bird were generally unsatisfactory. In fact, the shimmering air made anything viewed through the ‘scope look like a French Impressionist painting!

Other goodies at Martin Mere included a similarly shy, drake Garganey and three Avocet chicks – a paltry return considering the number of birds that had nested.

By the time I had arrived at Marshside – a little over an hour later – a stiff easterly wind had developed and the visibility was much improved. When I arrived at Nel’s hide it was completely empty – surely not a good sign if a Temminck’s Stint was present.

As I was busy working my way through the waders a few more people arrived. Smaller waders included a handful of Dunlin and a single Ringed Plover aside the more statuesque Avocets and Black-tailed Godwit. Another glorious drake Garganey was the pick of the other birds, but still no Stint.

I conceded defeat and asked the chap next to me if he had any news.

“Oh, it turned out to be a Dunlin.” D’OH!!

Not a good day for Birdguides.

Until later.

No comments: