Thursday 7 May 2009

Return Of The Native

Had you placed two pictures in front of me a few years ago, one of a Hare and one of a Rabbit, I would have had about as much chance of seperating them as I would telling the diffference between Manchester United's precocious Brazilian full-backs Fabio and Raphael. None.

Yet another of our native fauna to suffer from modern farming practices, the Brown Hare is not as widespread as it once was. Nevertheless, I have been fortunate enough to have encountered five or six this spring in various locations around Cheshire, Lancashire and North Wales; indeed, whilst scanning the mosses around Martin Mere for Corn Bunting, I was even fortunate enough to see a pair boxing - the female Hare making a much better fist of defending herself than a certain
Mancunian pugilist!

Brown Hares are identified by their larger size, black-tipped ears, lolloping gait and rather bulging eyes. You can also be sure you have seen a Hare and not a Rabbit if you see it check its watch. If you do see a Hare with a timepiece though, consult a doctor.

There was no mistaking the Hare I saw this morning whilst walking along the stunning North Wales path at Cae'r Mynydd adjacent to the gorgeous wooded Treath Lafan nature reserve. One look at me though was enough and off it darted to its tea party.

I was primarily in this area to find some woodland birds. The steep valley is cloaked with mixed decidous trees, although a good part of the western side is covered with yet another hideous conifer plantation. As you move towards the Aber Falls, the wood thins out as the soil becomes more acidic giving away to grazed pasture and towards the top of the mountains, scree. You can follow a footpath from a car park that runs adjacent to the Afon Aber and when you reach the falls, double back on yourself walking along the base of Moel Wnion.

Despite being such promising territory, I struggled for birds today. Maybe the strong wind was forcing the birds to retreat from the tops, but all I heard aside from a handful of Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps was a distant Wood Warbler. When I reached the falls themselves I managed to locate a Grey Wagtail perched ballerina-like on a stone in the gushing river. Following my failure to find a Dipper in the River Elwy yesterday, today, I was hoping for a change of luck, but close scrutiny of all the stones and boulders during the climb had not produced the desired result. Nothing. Nada. Where are these birds?

I crossed the bridge and headed into an area of scrubby pasture, that looked like classic Cuckoo habitat, but alas no Cuckoo - the only compensation being a neat male Redstart. Numerous Meadow Pipits around, but no Tree Pipits - again another bird absent in a favourable environment. As the track climbed the view became more and more impressive. The Carneddaus, The Great Orme and Puffin Island were all clearly visible - I could just about make out a flock of Gannet plunging into the bay too! Here the terrain was fairly stoney and close scrutiny of the mountain side produced three Wheatears. It was just then that a brown object dashing across the horizon caught my eye...

A quick visit to Inner Marsh Farm of the way home brought dividends with my first Hobby of the year and also close views of a hunting male Peregrine. Other birds included 6 Avocet, 7 Dunlin, 1 Sanderling, 150+ Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Knot, 1 Kingfisher and 2 Common Tern.

Until later.

1 comment:

TC said...

I believe the standard way of telling a Fabio from a Rafael is that the former (despite his lack of years) has been ringed.