Sunday 24 May 2009

I-Spy A Spot-Fly

Bank Holiday weekend, the sun is shining, time to get far from the madding crowd!

Gwytherin (SH8761) is a picturesque small hamlet at the north end of the Denbigh Moors, replete with a quaint old-fashioned telephone box and a village pub.

A sharp climb through some woodland soon takes me out of the village and in to open countryside, a Nuthatch collecting food for its young the only bird of note. As I stop to catch my breath, a female Wheatear comes to investigate the intruder.

Lungs fully recovered I head across an area of moor called Ffrithuchaf. It is covered in moss and extremely damp underfoot – ideal breeding habitat for wading birds. It’s great to see such a large section of farmland that has not been drained and a handful of Curlew have taken full advantage – I see up to seven birds before meeting the road to Pentrefoelas.

I quickly turn off the road and head down a small valley following a farm track under the permitted access scheme. Four Lapwings pass over, heading in the direction of the massive wind turbines to the west.

The path meets a stream surrounded by gorse and a scattering of trees and bushes. A Tree Pipit – despite it being the middle of the day – is in full song, succeeds in drowning-out a nearby Blackbird.

Scrutinising the treetops brings little at first apart from a few Willow Warblers. I then locate another small passerine skulking in the canopy, but I cannot identify it as I am looking straight into the sun. I move to the other side of the tree and re-locate the bird – a Spotted Flycatcher, my first of the year!

My second steep ascent of the day is up to Pen Bryh y Clochydd on the opposite side of the valley. Here the land is very heavily grazed and consequently poor for birds – two Ravens and another female Wheatear being the pick.

Nearing the end of the walk at Bryn-y-clochydd there are more trees in evidence. I can just about make out the faint song of a Redstart and then another one – much closer this time – bursts into song too from the very top of an oak tree. An excellent day!

Until later.

No comments: