Monday 4 May 2009

Some Like it Otter

A trip down to the wonderful Dolydd Hafren reserve in Montgomeryshire on May 1st to catch up with my first UK great white egret yielded something of a surprise.
After summarily failing to locate the Egret, I turned my attention to scanning the shingle riverbank for scurrying Little Ringed Plovers and bobbing Common Sandpipers. After locating two LRPs enjoying brief sexual congress, I caught a dark object diving in the river a few metres away. Dismissing this as a fishing cormorant, I moved my scope back to enjoy another spell of voyeurism, only again to have my attention diverted by an otter popping his head out of the water! Incredible.

Almost dumbfounded by my good fortune, I watched the otter fishing for the next thirty minutes until sadly it ventured upstrean and out of view. I was surprised at how thickset and powerful these aquatic predators are; it would be impossible given good views to mistake one for a mink.

Given the raft of negative stories concerning the gradual degradation of our natural environment it was pleasing to witness for myself that otters seem to be recolonising their former haunts; a sure sign that some waterways are improving. I hope it wont be too long before my next close encounter. Insh Allah.
After the otters disappearance things picked-up on the avian front. Five whimbrel dropped down onto a shingle bank, five common sandpipers revealed themselves, plus another two thankfully more bashful LRPs arrived on the scene. The GWE also decided to honour me with its presence, flying out of a ditch it had been skulking and heading for the river for a good preen. Other birds of note where four goosanders and two singing garden warblers.
However, today there was only one star of the show.

Until later.

No comments: