Sunday 3 January 2010

Brunch in Flint

No, not my can, I got the picture off the internet – honest. More of a Tennant’s man myself.

Not been out much over the last two days apart from a couple of hours on Saturday looking for the Slavonian Grebes found by Ash Cohen at Flint on Friday that frustratingly refused to show – unlike Ash!

Very little else on the waterfront, although I did stumble across seven or eight Twite feeding on the north flank of the castle a couple of hours before high tide.

It was bloody cold too and a couple of middle-aged locals had decided to fortify themselves on their early morning dog walk with a four-pack of special brew that they swiftly guzzled down before launching the empty cans into the river.

Good numbers of swans on White Sands though; I could see approximately thirty in the distance from the castle and there was another thirty too at the base of the marsh near the bridge viewed from my motor through a heavy shower.

An hour this evening at Caldy Valley Park was also pretty quiet, although the radical conservation work being carried-out continues apace. I hope they know what they are doing as at least an acre of phragmites has been uprooted in the construction of a new scrape – any Reed Warblers returning in May may be in for a shock; fancy flying all the way from sub-Saharan Africa to find that your home in now a climbing frame.

Still, if it remains a little too bare they could always try replanting the score or so of Christmas trees unceremoniously dumped next to the car park.

Until later.

1 comment:

Ashley Cohen said...

Thanks for the mention! Shame the grebe's didn't show up I'd have liked it if everyone got a good view of them too, but I figure they've headed off down the coast or up river now. Makes me laugh reading about the larger drinking old people, sounds typical really! Today we had 3 teenagers driving big off road motor bikes along the coastal path by the football ground, so rude and annoying. Makes me glad I don't often get out at weekends if thats what people do!

Hope to see you round soon, might be heading off to Parkgate tomorrow depends what the weather does I guess.
Speak soon.
Ash