Wednesday 6 January 2010

Coed y Garth

With the aim of kick-starting my assault on Flintshire this year, I headed over to Coed y Garth late this morning to see if I could tickle-out some woodland species.

I am very fond of birding in woods as it requires a little more skill by my reckoning; rather than just relying on sight, aural skills come in to play as do two things I am not over blessed with – patience and a sharp eye (I’m as colour blind as they come!).

The modest snowfall yesterday made the woodland picture perfect inside creating a magical atmosphere. I was not the first to leave tracks in the snow though – a fox had been on the prowl during the night leaving its telltale footprints in the freshly powdered footpath.

Five minutes into my walk I was on to a decent sized mixed flock that despite being dominated by the commoner tit species contained two Treecreepers and a brace of hyperactive Goldcrest.

A little further up the trail I added Nuthatch and another Treecreeper to the list and then encountered a large flock of Long-tailed Tits. This species of passerine seems to be particularly unsociable, appearing to prefer the company of its own and not generally joining mixed flocks.

It was interesting to note today how many birds had little grubs in their bills. I would have thought any tasty morsel excavated from beneath the bark would be eaten instantly, but a Nuthatch, a Goldcrest and two Blue Tits all seemed to be carrying food today?

Just as I was about to leave the wood I picked-up the ‘pitchouing’ call of a Marsh Tit, but despite looking for a good ten minutes – and it not really moving – the pesky little tyke would not show itself…probably my rubbish fieldcraft again…

Until later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul
I enjoyed a stroll on the Chester Meadows today. On days like this the river is always worth a look. Along the Sandy lane stretch were 3Pochard , a female Goldeneye, Great Crested & Little Grebes & 18 Canada Geese. In one of the ditches a Water Rail briefly showed itself. Just goes to show you dont always have to travel to far for a bit of good birding.
Enjoyable blog by the way.

Cheers
Andy

Paul Shenton said...

Hi Andy,

Quite an impressive haul, I think I will have a look tomorrow morning, I was going to go down and look for the Goosander at some point anyway.

I have had some success down there before, but mainly in spring. I remember flushing a bird from the meadows when I had just started birding. I initially thought it was a young Pheasant, but I think now it was probably a Quail...

Cheers, Paul.

Phil Woollen. said...

Happy New Year Paul.
Any further sign of the Dipper on the Gowy since your first sighting?

Paul Shenton said...

Happy New Year to you Phil.

No sign of the Dipper recently - I had a few walks along the river between Shell Road & Stamford Bridge but no sign. Huge numbers of Gulls roosting opposite the tip though - definitely worth a scan I reckon...

Cheers, Paul.

Phil Woollen. said...

Paul
Keep your eyes open along Gowy for Green Sandpipers. 2 -3 wintered here last year.