Friday 22 January 2010

From Halkyn to the Heart of Darkness

A circular walk starting from Halkyn, taking in coeds Llys, y Cra and Felin, looked a synch when I plotted it out from the OS map, but this five-miler - that’s purpose was to bag both Willow and Marsh Tit for my Flintshire list – rapidly descended into an episode of Bear Grylls.

It all started so well in the serene setting of the old churchyard at Halkyn, where I hoped against expectancy to find Hawfinch. This used to be a traditional site for the big-honkered finch, but they seem to have vanished in recent years.

It’s a mystery really because the habitat looks ideal – lots of tall deciduous trees surrounding a graveyard dotted with glorious old yew trees. I always think it ironic to plant a species that can live for thousands of years in a human cemetery, it just seems to emphasise how brief our lives are…

With not much doing I headed off towards Northop where I planned to meet the Afon Clwyd near the Welsh Agricultural College and follow it upstream back towards Halkyn.

When I picked up the river it was obvious walking was going to be a nightmare as it was absolutely saturated underfoot. It was tricky trying to stay on my feet, let alone keep my eyes and ears open for Marsh & Willow Tits, but when I eventually entered Coed y Cra I finally heard the explosive call of a Marsh Tit.

I found what I thought to be the bird preeening, but it was fairly obscured in a birch tree. With no more calling, it was impossible to rule out the possibility of Willow Tit and after a few seconds it flew off into some ivy leaving its identity unconfirmed – bugger!

It was at this point that things all went a little pear-shaped. With the hope of finding a Dipper I opted to follow the stream rather than take the footpath and despite the little voice telling me this was probably unwise, I was off and merrily hacking my way through the thick vegetation.

It was hard initially but I continued to tell myself things would get a little easier. They didn’t and as the foliage became denser, so did the sides of the small valley become steeper. I wasn’t lost, but I was beginning to realise that it was going to be tricky to get out.

After weighing up my options I decided to scramble up the bank rather than turn back and after to my considerable relief after a good thirty minutes or so of slipping, sliding and heaving up the slope, I rejoined the original track.

Understandably I had had enough now, so I cut short the rest of walk and headed back towards Halkyn and a hot bath. Coed y Cra is definitely worth further exploration though. It’s the best area of wood I have found in Flintshire – almost exclusively native trees and lots of dead and dying branches too making for some superb habitat. So, in the immortal words of Arnie, “I’ll be back.”

Halkyn Circualr Walk 22.01.10

1 Woodcock
3 Great Spotted Woodpecker
75+ Pheasant
3 Nuthatch
2 Treecreeper
1 Marsh/Willow Tit

Until later.

2 comments:

Denzil said...

Hi Paul
I,ve done those sort of days out myself,and I nearly always get lost.
One memorable day last year in Delamere Forest,I spent a couple of hours Birding,and another couple of hours trying to find my way back to the car.
From experience,I usually find that if I discover somewhere that I think will turn up plenty of birds,it does,and I would be very interested to hear how you get on when you finally get round to re-visiting the walk.

Cheers Denzil

LITTLE ORME
22.1.10

Red Breasted Merganser 2
Fulmar 5
Kittiwake 1
Guillemot 1
Black Redstart 1 (Female)

Paul Shenton said...

Hi Denzil - nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say!

I noticed you had a Marsh Tit at Moore - I thought I heard one singing there last year, but I wasn't too hot on recognising the song then, so I wasn't too sure...

Cheers, Paul.