Tuesday 12 January 2010

Winter Warmer

With the wind chill factor set to really feckin’ cold, and visibility as poor as it gets, it was perhaps not the best idea to sit in the ice box that is the west hide at Connah’s Quay this morning.

It was not that I had not been warned; when I was closing the gate, I noticed that my car had decided to inch its way down the road over the frozen surface and I just managed to get back in time in order to avert a slow speed impact with the barrier!

Undeterred, I decided to park-up at the top and walk down and within ten freezing minutes I was safe in the refrigerator.

It was quickly apparent that there were far fewer birds than yesterday with only a smattering of waders feeding along the tide line, plus some modest flocks of Teal and Wigeon on the water.

Nevertheless, I quickly picked up a Ruff and a Spotted Redshank feeding near the end of the stream and then amongst a group of Redshank I noticed the unmistakeable feeding action of a Long-billed Dowitcher!

Probably one of the brace that were hanging around late autumn, it was nonetheless thrilling to relocate one and I watched it feeding slap bang in front of the west hide on the river channel side for well over half and hour before it was flushed by a rather weak looking Kestrel.

All things considered an excellent morning and three new additions to my Flintshire year list!

Note: Due to the hazardous road, the E.ON security-wallah has put an additional lock on the gate until the track clears up. Therefore, if you plan to visit the reserve you will need to park at the top and go on foot.

Connah’s Quay 12.01.10

1 Long-billed Dowitcher
1 Spotted Redshank
1 Ruff

Until later.

2 comments:

Ashley Cohen said...

Sounds like a Good days Birding. I didn't go down in the end slightly put off by how cold it is and the dull conditions.

keithd said...

Hi Paul,

Glad you got Long Billed Dowitcher.
I thought you never twitched good birds for yourself.

Good to know there was a good flock of Bramblings as well the day before.

Keith