Thursday 14 January 2010

Crouching Shorelark, Hidden Woodcock

An absolutely stonking few hours birding at the Point of Ayr this morning, with a Shorelark feeding along the strandline behind Presthaven Sands the undoubted highlight. (SJ104848)

It had been pretty quiet along the beach, with the only birds of note a handful of barely visible divers flying through the fug way offshore. Then I noticed a small passerine crouched over some washed-up seaweed and as I inched a little closer I realised it was a Shorelark!

I watched the bird for about a minute, until a Redshank clocked me and flew off calling hysterically. This disturbed the Shorelark that took off too, tailing the wader as it flew off into the dunes – I could have happily strangled that Redshank!

Before today, I was probably the only birder to have not seen a Woodcock this year, but as Becks and I walked through the small wood behind the horse paddocks at Warren Farm at least four birds – possibly up to six – were flushed along with a couple of Snipe for good measure.

Some cracking birds on the marsh at high tide too, with a Kingfisher in its usual winter billet – the small pool next to the hide path – and a few Brambling in a flock of around sixty Chaffinch.

Raptors were well represented too with stunning views of a hunting female Merlin; probably the largest one I have seen too, approaching the size a small male Peregrine.

It didn’t have the manor to itself though: an adult female Hen Harrier seemed to appear from nowhere and after a brief scuffle it eerily vanished as quickly as it had arrived.

Quite a morning and some highly prized ticks for my Flintshire quest too!

Point of Ayr 14.01.10

1 Shorelark
4+ Woodcock
1 Kingfisher
1 Hen Harrier
1 Merlin (female)
5+ Rock Pipit
3+ Brambling
90 Sanderling
35 Grey Plover

Until later

P.S - Going for the Woodlarks again tomorrow, so inshallah, it could be a lark hat-trick this week!

No comments: