Friday 29 January 2010

Hello, Dave.

With a brisk northerly wind blowing in from the Irish Sea, I thought it about time to pay an overdue visit to the north Wirral coast.

Armed with lashings of piping hot Winter Warmer, I set off to Leasowe Gunsite in the hope that some goodies had been blown into the corner of Liverpool Bay.

After no more than twenty minutes and two cups of WW already deployed to stoke the coals, I was ready to pack it in until two very distant Kittiwakes encouraged me to maintain the vigil a little longer.

Sadly things didn’t improve and I was soon scoping some brave soles out on Crosby Beach. I was intrigued as to why they appeared not to be moving and indeed one plucky individual seemed to have ventured out for a paddle.

Sharper tools than me will have already realised what I was looking at, but my own Triggeresque powers of deduction meant it was a good ten minutes before the penny dropped – they were figures from Anthony Gormley’s Another Place!!

With my mental faculties needing to thaw out, I headed over to seek refuge in the hide at Inner Marsh Farm.

A few Spot Reds had been logged in the morning, but were nowhere to be seen when I rolled up early afternoon and with number two pool holding very few birds, I was reduced to watching the increasingly frequent, blustery and bone-chilling snow flurries blasting swiftly through.

Going to be a tad unpleasant wardening at the Point of Ayr tomorrow me thinks – would rather be part of 007’s dawn raid to Gigrin – will need gallons of WW!

So, in the absence of any bird sighting to report and if anybody is venturing out over the weekend who fancies a change from soup, tea, or coffee – try some Winter Warmer!

Winter Warmer

Makes one litre:

Juice of one Lemon
A thumb’s length of ginger – crushed
One tablespoon of honey

Until later.


No comments: